Tips for Emotional Health (and lots of News)
During this global pandemic when so many difficulties have hit us in such a short amount of time, staying emotionally healthy can be a challenge. As Christians we know that first and foremost we need to nurture our relationship with God, and keep it strong and growing in order to stay mentally healthy and at peace. You do this with daily prayer and Bible study, and trusting the Lord to carry our burdens and meet our needs. Stay focused on Him and His promises. Ask God to help you find things to be thankful for and write them down.
Here are some simple tips for emotional health by a Tulsa Christian pastor who is also a mental health professional:
- Make your bed. It doesn't have to be perfect, but just having it made will help.
- Take a shower and get dressed every day, even when you just stay home.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Caffeine is a stimulant and alcohol a depressant; we don't need any more anxiety or depression. Both can disrupt sleep and in stressful times we need our sleep.
- Allow yourself to think about your problems but only for 5-10 minutes, and then write down 5 things you are thankful for. Then get moving - walk (even in the house), climb your stairs til you are out of breath, do jumping jacks, just something to get blood flowing.
- Keep one area perfectly clean and use it as your happy place.
- Light a scented candle. Smell can have a powerful effect on our mood.
- Look at pictures of puppies and kittens. Studies have shown that looking at small animals helps our focus and concentration, and looking at a dog makes many people smile. We need smiles right now.
- Send cards or letters to people telling them you appreciate them.
- Go outdoors and look at the spring flowers.
- Find funny things to think about.
GUEST SPEAKER: The guest speaker for our April 4 live stream church service will be Pastor Daniel Ortega, Director of Youth Ministries and Communications for the Oklahoma Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.
NEW CHURCH MAILBOX: Our church has a new mailbox equipped with a lock, and the mail is regularly collected by our head elder.
CHURCH BUILDING IMPROVEMENTS:
1. Roof Repairs: The flat areas of our church roof are in urgent need of replacement to avoid leaking, and $90,000 is still needed to fund this project (please donate HERE). Emergency repairs have recently been made to the roof to try and prevent the worst of the leakage. The flashing that joins the flat part of the roof to the pitched portion over the sanctuary has also been replaced (this is where a lot of leakage was taking place). Thank you to everyone who has donated, and to those who continue your financial support!! The roof repair project has been divided into three stages:
STAGE 1) Emergency partial roof repairs (DONE) STAGE 2) Replacement of roof flashing (DONE) STAGE 3) Replacement of flat areas of the roof ($90,000 STILL NEEDED)
2. Lighting Replacement: The lighting in the entire church building is currently being replaced with energy efficient, money-saving LED lighting. PSO projects that this will save our church approximately $2,000 per year in electric utility costs. PSO paid 70% of the lighting replacement project cost, and donation of labor saved our church the remainder of the fees except for $500 which the church paid.
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6,7